Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Cuddle Up With a Good Book

Life has been so busy these past few months with the holidays, family, friends, and my boys, so it’s nice that things are finally starting to slow down. Since it’s pretty cold here and I’ve been taking advance of staying inside by making big pots of soup, reading, and catching up on my favorite shows. I thought I’d share a few of my current books and shows with you in case you get a free minute too and want to check them out.

I just read Paris For One & Other Stories by Jojo Moyes. It’s a fun, easy to read collection of short stories which are romantic, witty, and humorous. I am in the point in my life where I have very little free “me” time, so when I get the opportunity to read, I read books that interest me. If I’m not into a book within the first 50 pages, I don’t waste my time reading the rest. I may navigate toward “chic lit” but it makes happy and transports me to another world. Reading should be fun. That said, I would definitely recommend Paris for One. 


I recently read The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins and was really drawn into suspense of this murder mystery. The main character is flawed but I found myself rooting for her to find redemption as her tried to figure out what happened on the night she can't remember and to the girl she used to watch from the train who has gone missing. I love a good mystery and this book kept me on the edge of my seat. The movie should be out on DVD soon and I can’t wait to watch it and see how it translates on film. I read that they changed the location from London to New York. It will be interesting to see what other changes they made. 

In addition to The Girl on the Train, I also really want to see La La Land with Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone. The trailer is mesmerizing with the speculator dancing and fabulous costumes. The jewel-tone dresses are to die for! 

On the television side of things, I just binge watched all 3 seasons of Younger. It comes on TV Land (I know, I thought they only played reruns of the Golden Girls) but you have to check it out. It follows a 40 year old mom who is recently divorced and her child is away at college as she tries to reenter the workforce after 15+ years. No one will hire her and she sort of falls into this lie that she’s 26. It hilarious watching her try to understand and relate with the millennials as she tries to keep up the lie. Also, her hairstyles are cute and her fashion is wacky but get better as the seasons progress. I hope I look as good as she does when I’m 40!

Other tv favorites include:
Outlander on Starz- I've read the books and the adaptation is wonderful. Caitriona and Sam are fantastic as Claire and Jamie.

Life in Pieces on CBS- hilarious, watch it!

Ladies of London on Bravo - this is the guilty pleasure reality show I'm into at the moment


What are you reading and watching that you love? I’m always up for checking out new things, so please share in the comments. 


No comments:

Post a Comment