Thursday, January 12, 2017

Aww... Honey, Honey

You know how certain things remind you of a particular moment and memories from your past. Honey holds a special memory in mine.
Growing up my grandfather had a small farm where he and my grandma grew vegetables for themselves, friends, and family. In turn, he also had bees to pollenate the garden. He had several hives and at the end of each summer he'd harvest the honey they produced and it was delicious! We'd have quart jars of honey fresh from the hives which we'd slather on toast or stir into hot tea. My grandparents has passed but I remember times in the garden and at their home so fondly. I still love my hot tea with honey and while I was on the subject, also share some of my favorite honey products.


  1. Laura Mercier Creme Brûlée Honey Bath -Drizzle a little into your bath to give it a sweet scent and leaves your skin fresh and supple.
  2. Savannah Bee Beeswax Hand Cream- A rich, thick hand cream you won't leave home without. Perfect for winter when my hands are consistently dry.
  3. Deep Steep Fresh Honey Hand Wash- I love the way my hands smell after using this hand soap. Just like fresh honey; pleasant but not overwhelming. You'll keep wondering what that lovely smell is until you realize it's you. 
  4. Nature Nate's Organic Honey- A delicious raw honey that is very versatile, great for cooking, and in hot tea. This is a wonderful honey to buy in bulk. When substituting honey for sugar, this is my go-to. 
  5. Savannah Bee Winter White- This whipped honey is my all time FAVORITE. I have a jar that is mine and rarely share. It's wonderful on butter toast or by the spoonful. 
  6. Manuka Doctor Apinourish Rejuvenating Face Mask- A nourishing face mask made with bee venom and honey to leave your skin feeling firm and rejuvenated. 
Honey is better for you as a sweeter than sugar. Although it has more calories than sugar, we tend to use less of it than sugar. It has a lower glycemic index, which means it's absorbed slower into the bloodstream and a more gradual and healthier digestive process. Which mean is has less of a sugar rush on my 4 year old who loves sweets. Since sugar is heated and manufactured it loses any nutritional value and is considered empty calories. Whereas raw honey retains nutrients and enzymes along with having certain antioxidant and antimicrobial properties. I recommend choosing raw honey over processed if you have the option since it retains more enzymes, antioxidants, and flavor. 
I feel like honey is old-fashioned but with healthy and clean eating being all the rage, it is definitely making a comeback. I hope you'll give it a try if you haven't in a while. Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment