Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Delicious Smoked Grilled Chicken

I don't know why it's so hard for me wrap my head around three day weekends, especially when I don't have to go work on Monday. All day it's felt like Monday, but, of course, it's Tuesday. I guess that's not a bad thing... only three more work days in this week after today. 
I hope you all had a productive and fun Labor Day weekend. I sure did. I got in lots of quality time with the family and got a home project checked off my list that I'll be sharing with you soon. Here's a hint... it's something our guest will appreciate. 

Today I wanted to share one of the easiest, most flavorful chicken recipes ever. If you haven't noticed the trend yet, my recipes are all about making the most of what limited time I have to prepare food and creating a dish that can be used in a variety of ways, and this one is no different. 


We eat lots of chicken breast. It's affordable, lean, and very versatile but it can also be dry, bland, and tough if not prepared right. This recipe is taken for several different ones that I've combined to make this juicy, flavorful grilled chicken. My mother-in-law introduced me to the idea of brining chicken breasts, while Pierce added his own flare by smoking it. The outcome is a smokey, tender chicken recipe you can eat as a main course or chop up for chicken salad or add to a wrap. I used leftovers to make my favorite chicken salad recipe found here

Smoked Grilled Chicken


  • 4 pounds of chicken breasts (boneless or bone-in, your preference but allow additional cooking time for bone-in)
  • 10 cups of water
  • 1/4 cup of salt
  • 1/4 cup of white vinegar
  • wood chips (I used hickory) soaked in water
On your stovetop in a large pot over medium heat, combine 3 cups of water with all the salt. Heat until the salt is dissolved stirring occasionally. Remove from heat when dissolved. Add the rest of the water and all the vinegar. When mixture is room temperature add the chicken breasts.  Cover and refrigerate for 3 to 4 hours. The longer you marinade the chicken the saltier it will be. You can marinade for as little as 2 hours but wouldn't recommend marinading for more than 6 hours. 
Soak wood chips in water for several hours prior to grilling. 
When ready for the grill, pour off the salt and vinegar water from the chicken. Place breasts onto preheated grill. I prefer charcoal but use what you've got. Flip occasionally. Cooking time will depend on the thickness of the chicken breasts. Cook until the internal temperature of chicken reaches 165℉. 
Smoking the chicken is optional but adds a nice flavor. If you want to smoke it, pour water off of soaked wood chips and add to the charcoals in the last 5 minutes of grilling. You can go longer but you don't want it too smokey that you can't eat it. If you're using a gas grill, place wood chips in a smoker box and place on grill rack and close the lid for the last five minutes. Flip at least once. 
When chicken is cooked thoroughly, remove from grill and let rest for at least five minutes before serving to allow time for the juices settle. 

Enjoy!

Every time I serve this chicken I get so many compliments. I grilled this on Saturday and served it with corn on the cob, tomato cucumber salad, and buttered baguette. It was fabulous. Pierce made himself several sandwiches with the leftovers and on Monday I used what was left make chicken salad. I love how many meals I can make off this one recipe. 

It looks like the southeast may be in for another hurricane, so stay safe out there. 



No comments:

Post a Comment