Saturday, May 6, 2017

Fresh Homemade Salsa Recipe

Happy Belated Cinco de Mayo, everyone!
I hope you all had a wonderful start to the weekend, and if you're like me, I celebrated Cinco de Mayo by eating and drinking a little too much. I love Mexican food, so any excuse to eat it and I'm there.
We went to our neighbors. I brough the tacos and fixings which included delicious fresh salsa. I make pico de gallo all the time to throw on top of salad or eat as a dip. I delicious, healthy, and one of my favs. I didn't have the time for all the chopping required for pico de gallo so I decides to use the same base ingredients, but throw it into the food processor to whip up a fresh salsa... muy delicioso!


I'm also working on perfecting a light margarita. I love a good margarita but I find all the pre-made mixes too sugary or artificial tasting. Not to mention they are loaded with calories from all the sugar. I made some good steps towards what I think will be the perfect light margarita and once I have it perfected I will share it. For now I thought I'd share the freshest, easiest salsa recipe. This recipe uses a food processor. If you prefer a chunky salsa (more like a pico de gallo), use the same ingredients but chop by hand rather than using the food processor. Either way, this recipe is a winner!

Fresh Homemade Salsa


  • 6 roma tomatoes
  • 1 lime, juiced
  • 1 large or 2 small jalapeños
  • 1 medium red onion
  • 1/2 cup cilantro
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp ground pepper
  • 1/2 tbsp minced garlic
  • 2 tsp light agave nectar


Rinse all produce. Quarter the jalapeño and onion. Place in the food processor and pulse until roughly minced. Quarter the tomatoes and place them along with all additional ingredients into the food processor. Pulse until chopped to the consistency you prefer. I prefer chunky over soup so I don't pulse the final ingredients for very long. I add the jalapeño and onion first because I don't mind if they are minced finer than the tomatoes plus they don't have liquid like the tomatoes. You want to pulse all the ingredients until they are chopped but not pulverized. The salsa should still be a little chunky. You can always add or reduce the jalapeños. If I'm going for a medium salsa, I use a large jalapeño and remove half the seeds. Perfecto!




So give this recipe a try, I have a feeling it will become a staple like it has for me. It's a great healthy dip not to mention you can throw it onto salads, tacos, and wraps to add favor without the guilt. 
If you have any tips for my light margarita recipe, send them on. It's still a work in progress and I can use all the help I can get. Thanks!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment