Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Family Time at Tybee

Oh my goodness, it been forever since I posted but I have a pretty good reason... I've been on vacation. Hallelujah! Boy did I need a vacay.
Each year we usually take a long weekend vacation with my parents, sister, and niece. One of my parent's favorite places to visit is Tybee Island, GA. We've been at least half a dozen times, but it's so quaint and fun that we love going back. If you've never been, I highly recommend visiting. Tybee Island is less than 30 minutes from Savannah and only 2 1/2 hours from Charleston. So it's a pretty easy drive with the kiddos. We can get there without having to make any stops so that's a plus. I thought I'd share some photos from our trip as well as what we like to do and where we like to visit.

Started the trip off right.

We got to Tybee Wednesday evening and ate dinner at one of our favorite island restaurants, North Beach Bar and Grill. The restaurant is right on the beach near the famous Tybee lighthouse. They make a delicious margarita and crispy fried grouper bites. They usually have live music in the evenings. 
Thursday we headed to Savannah and did some shopping along Bay Street and Broughton Street. We strolled through the historic district and admired the beautiful homes and the scenic squares. We also went to Forsyth Park which has its famous fountain and an awesome playground that the kids really loved. 

Forsyth Park fountain { sunglasses (on sale for $6!) // shirt // shorts }

Thursday evening Pierce surprised me by arranging for the kids to stay at the beach house with my parents while we stayed at a hotel in downtown Savannah. We wanted to grab a drink before dinner and decided to wander into the Planter's Tavern. The bar is in the basement of the Planter's Inn. When we went in it took a minute for my eyes to adjust to the darkness but once they did it was fabulous. It was like going back in time with it's Old World pub charm plus it's lit by candlelight. 

The Planter's Punch hit the spot. 

We ate supper at B. Michael's and I got the short rib which was delicious and the collards were cooked to perfection. Pierce got the duck dumpling which was not what I expected when it arrived. I was expecting filled dumplings but it was more like a chicken pot pie stew without the crust... very rich and flavorful. After dinner we headed over to the Savannah Taphouse and got in a few rounds of bingo. Next, I needed dessert so we stopped in River Street Sweets where I got a praline which I devoured as we walked along the riverfront. The night was just perfect and really made up for us not getting to do anything for our anniversary last month

Friday, we drove back to Tybee and all headed to the beach. Tybee Island has a nice beach and at low tide you can usually find tidal pools which are perfect for the kiddos. There's usually some activity going on so I recommend checking out the events when you're there so you don't miss anything. This weekend was the SCAD Sand Arts Festival so we had lots to walk and see during our time at the beach. 

{ coverup // swimsuit ($17!) // hat

Saturday morning Pierce and I went back to beach very early with Emmett to do a little treasure hunting with the metal detectors. Emmett loves metal detecting and Pierce just got himself a fancy detector so we had to head out and see what could be found. Pierce found a quarter, a dime, and a penny. I found a penny and a $5 bill. Guess I won this round 😋

Metal detecting at sunrise.

I detect and Emmett digs... all about teamwork for us. 

After the metal detecting the rain started and continued all day so that put a damper on putt-putt and any other outdoor activities. Instead we headed to the mall and let the kids hit up the Build-A-Bear which they loved. 

Emmett, Oliver, and Alexis with their new buddies.

The rain let up that evening so we had the chance to walk around the little downtown on Tybee. It was our last night and we ended up just eating left overs to clean out the fridge and then played an endless game of Uno. Family time fun.

Ollie napping with me in the hammock. Love his thick thighs... mine, not so much.

Snow cones before supper... only on vacation.

Sunday we packed up, said our goodbyes, and headed back to Charleston. I had a wonderful time with my family. I love seeing my boys bond and play with my parents, sister, and niece. It was a great way to spend a long weekend, I just wish we could do it more often. I enjoyed our trip and love the trips we've had in Tybee. I'm sure there are many more in our future. Have you gone? If so, what your favorite places to eat and visit? I'm always up for exploring new spots.

One last thing, I hope all the moms out there had a wonderful Mother's Day. I sure did.




No comments:

Post a Comment