Monday, July 20, 2020

Feeling Peachy



This time of year always reminds me of summers spent at my grandparent’s house. They had a garden, a variety of fruit trees, and lots of scuppernong vines. Considering how much stimulation my children require, they would have thought how I spent my summers when I was their age as boring but I loved it. I'd go for long walks each morning with my grandma, then we'd pick corn, beans, and cucumbers, we'd shell beans, can tomatoes, pick apples and pears, and then I'd watch as she'd cook up something amazing. These experiences with my grandma created memories I will always cherish. She taught me that cooking was a fun, creative activity with delicious outcomes.

So when summer rolls around I like to take advantage of all the fresh fruits and vegetables which are at their peak. I love fresh fruit and vegetables, and even attempt to grow my own. Although I’m not the farmer my grandad was, I try. So far this summer I've grown plenty of cucumbers, three tomatoes, and lots of basil. The deer keep eating my bell peppers and most of my tomatoes, while my zucchini refuses produce anything. My tiny garden is a teaching me a lot of what not to do next year. Thank goodness for all the local farmers who know what they're doing and keep me stocked in fresh fruits and veggies.

One of favorite summertime fruits is the peach. Contrary to popular belief, South Carolina is the peach capital of South producing twice as many peaches as our Georgia neighbors. I know a good peach when I taste one and a ripe, juicy peach is pretty much perfection. How does one elevate a peach? Look no further than the perfect peach cobbler. Top that peach cobbler off with vanilla ice cream and you’ll have something so good you it will leave you speechless. If you've been looking for the perfect peach cobbler recipe then you'll have to give this one a shot. You won’t regret it. 

Perfect Peach Cobbler

Ingredients:

  • 3 cups peaches, fresh or canned, halved then quartered
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • pinch of salt
  • dash of nutmeg
  • dash of cinnamon
  • non-stick cooking spray

Instructions:

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 2 quart baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
  2. Spread sliced peaches evenly into the prepared dish.
  3. In a mixing bowl, mix the butter and sugar together until fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla until well combined. 
  4. Mix flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon in a separate bowl until combined.
  5. Stir the flour mixture into the sugar and egg mixture until just combined. The batter will be thick with a consistency similar to that of cookie dough. 
  6. Spread batter over the peaches evenly trying to cover the peaches as best you can.
  7. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown. 
  8. Remove from oven and let sit 10 minutes before serving.

Enjoy on its own or ice cream or whipped cream. Prepare to have your taste buds rejoice! 



No comments:

Post a Comment